Revels Anonymous (SCA) and Renaissance Anonymous (REC)
XII Steps to Recovery from Historical Re-Creation (Faire Dependency)
-- Magnus Maxwell, B-S (Barber-Surgeon)
- I must acknowledge that I do live in, work in, and deal with a modern,
- I should not make excuses for my historical re-creation or reenactment
activities to others.
- I will refrain from shopping or visiting thrift stores to the best of my
- I won't stop at used book stores every time I observe one nor shall I seek
- I will not spend entire days (or nights) buried in history books at the
- I can pass by and ignore sales at yardage and fabric stores.
- I am not going to speak Elizabethan, Forsoothly or Basic Faire Accent (BFA)
to mundanes outside of the faire environment.
- I can keep myself from wearing portions of my costume during mundane
- I have to sleep; therefore I can not work on costumes after midnight.
- I must not bow to civilians above my station or at mundane weddings and
- I will recall mundane names of all folk -- no using character names in
- I will not mix modern music with period dancing, dance mundanely to
historical music, nor -- with only slight hesitation -- put old lyrics to
current music. (Filk? Well...maybe only a little.)
© Copyright 1990 by Michael L. Foster